[Tutor] How to Create Webpage with Python

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Thu Jul 10 18:40:07 CEST 2014

On 2014-07-10 05:28, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:30 AM, John Cast <jdcast at stanford.edu> wrote:

>>           It sounds like I need a server on my desktop?
>>           I need to create a site and host/serve this somehow using my
>> server?
>
> Hosting websites off a desktop can be troublesome.  Your computer must
> stay on all the time (or at least at the times when the website should
> be accessible), you have to get a static IP, or use a dynamic DNS
> service, and that’s assuming your ISP won’t hate you for hosting a
> website.  It might be better to use an actual server instead.

If all you want is to check how your 'site' looks perhaps it'd be much
simpler to simply point your browser to your parent html file rather
than set up a server machine to serve it:
file:///home/yourusername/yoursubdirectory/index.html
It'll look exactly the same as it would if you were running it on a
server.
(or am I missing something?)