[Tutor] How to Create Webpage with Python

John Cast jdcast at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 9 20:26:47 CEST 2014

First, please forgive any ignorance in my post here as I am not good with
HTML and new to python.

I have a bunch of excel spreadsheets (all in the same format) that I am
writing a python script to go through and pick out some information and
post to a wiki page. I'm new to python and have gone through some basic
tutorials. I feel confident that I can figure out how to read an excel
spreadsheet in python. However, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with
figuring out how to do the web stuff in python. The webpage doesn't exist
yet and I have envisioned that the wiki webpage is created once and then
simply update it every time the script is run. However, I don't know much
about how persistence works with webpages.

I have two main questions:

1) Considering the webpage doesn't exist yet, do I need to 'serve' or
'post' a webpage (as was brought up below)?

2) How do I create this wiki webpage? and does this happen in python every
time the script is run?

3) How do I send my data to this webpage?

I don't have to have full blown answers here, just a link or advice or
anything to help me with navigating all of the information out there on
Google.

Thanks