[Tutor] Python Socket Error: Connection refused

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Jul 7 19:57:39 CEST 2014

On 07/07/14 06:10, Pamela Wightley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some help, I  have no programming skills and am trying to teach
> myself python. I keep on getting an error message as follows:
>
> Socket Error: Connection refused,

This is a common problem with IDLE in some environments.
There is a workaround by providing a command line switch to IDLE that
prevents it using sockets.

You probably need to edit your Windows shortcut to say something
like:

idle -n

Alternatively if you are on Windows use the ActiveState download of
Python instead since it is much better at setting paths etc and includes
Pythonwin which is much better than IDLE. Make sure you
get the free (Community?) edition.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site