[Tutor] Python tutoring

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Mon Jan 27 10:20:32 CET 2014

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 10:44:56PM -0500, marcus douglas wrote:

> Hello, my name is Marcus Douglas and I'm a student at College of
> Central Florida, I'm contacting you because this is my first year
> programming and I'm seriously seeking some HELP...ASAP...

Hello Marcus, and welcome!

We hope that we can help you, but only if you ask us questions! What are
you having trouble with? Please don't say "everything" :-)

Remember, we're not here to do your work for you, and your College
almost certainly has rules about plagiarism and collaboration, so please
try to ask generic questions about the language rather than specific
questions about homework questions. If you must ask homework questions,
expect that we'll only give you round-about answers that hint at a
solution.

Good questions:

"What's a variable?"

"Can you explain exceptions? I don't understand them."

"I have a for-loop, and I want to exit it early. What should I do?"

"How do I look for an item in a list? I tried "find(my_list, item) but
it printed NameError."

"What's the best way to read a file with items separated by tabs?"

"Here is my code. I tried running it, expecting this result, but got
this different result instead. What did I do wrong?"

Bad questions:

"Help!?"

"Here's a project I have to do for my course. Solve it for me.
Urgently. Because I forgot to do my project for the last three weeks
and it's due tomorrow."

"Here's some code. It doesn't work. Fix it for me."

Good luck, and happy programming!

--
Steven