[Tutor] downloading Python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 23 11:07:50 CET 2014

On 23/01/14 00:27, Mackenzi Jackson wrote:

> programming asap. I'm having trouble getting Python to run on my
> computer. Is this the right place to seek help? If so, my mac is OS x
> 10.6.8 and I was trying to run Mac Python 2.3.3 (I think). I've been
> trying for a few hours now and am getting very frustrated. Got any tips?

Is the version important for some reason?

If not, your Mac has Python installed and you just
need to open the Terminal app and type 'python' at
the prompt. It will probably be at least Python 2.6
on your OS.

The version installed by default (and please don't
uninstall it!) does not, I think,  support Tkinter
GUI apps so if you want to start building those you
will need to download a dmg file and install it.

But to get started the default one should be fine.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site