[Tutor] iPython notebook In [*]: numbering

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 00:59:37 CET 2014

On 15 January 2014 21:55, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> I'm glad that Eryksun was able to help, now would somebody like to
> explain what was going on?
>
> I don't even understand the answer given. I tried entering "Kernel =>
> Restart" at the iPython prompt, and got a SyntaxError.

IPython notebooks allow the IPython terminal to be used from a browser
in combination with graphical components that wouldn't work in a
terminal such as plots (matplotlib) and equations (sympy).

See e.g. here for examples of how it looks with sympy (notice that the
sympy output is rendered as proper equations with Mathjax in the
browser).
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/ipython/ipython/blob/master/examples/notebooks/SymPy%20Examples.ipynb

Oscar