[Tutor] recursion depth

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Jan 9 11:41:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Jan 08, 2014 at 06:16:03PM -0500, Dave Angel wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2014 16:23:06 -0500, eryksun <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Keith Winston <keithwins at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> I've been playing with recursion, it's very satisfying.
> >>
> >> However, it appears that even if I sys.setrecursionlimit(100000),
> it blows
> >> up at about 24,000 (appears to reset IDLE). I guess there must be
> a lot of
> >> overhead with recursion, if only 24k times are killing my memory?
>
> I can't see the bodies of any of your messages (are you perchance
> posting in html? ),

I presume that your question is aimed at Keith.

Yes, Keith's emails have a HTML part and a text part. A half-decent mail
client should be able to read the text part even if the HTML part
exists. But I believe you're reading this from gmane's Usenet mirror, is
that correct? Perhaps there's a problem with gmane, or your news client,
or both.

Since this is officially a mailing list, HTML mail is discouraged but
not strongly discouraged (that ship has sailed a long time ago, more's
the pity...) so long as the sender includes a plain text part too. Which
Keith does.

Keith, if you are able, and would be so kind, you'll help solve this
issue for Dave if you configure your mail client to turn so-called "rich
text" or formatted text off, at least for this mailing list.

--
Steven