[Tutor] python, speed, game programming

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 23:11:21 CET 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Keith Winston <keithwins at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am gearing up for the next project (yeah, an eventual end to Chutes &
> Ladders!). It is a typing tutor, I am inclined to use it to learn Dvorak but
> I would expect it easily adapted to QWERTY or anything else.

[snip]

> I hope Python is a good choice here, though I suppose some modules or
> classes or parts will have to be recoded into something faster... Any
> thoughts on this will be appreciated, including how to structure it in such
> a manner that it might be more portably applied to future versions in
> entirely different knowledge realms (music/midi input,
> language/vocabulary/audio output, etc).

Modern computers are just so absurdly fast that the overhead Python
has compared to other languages just doesn't matter for the kind of
work you are doing. If you typed at a hundred characters per second
Python could still keep up, unless there's something about your
problem you aren't describing.

-- Devin