[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Thu Feb 6 05:42:12 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Colin Chinsammy <
colin.chinsammy at erickson.com> wrote:

>  I am considering purchasing the Acer c720 chromebook for my 13yo to
> begin learning Python for Kids. Obviously I am on a budget.
>
> Is this a good choice for a complete beginner? Any particular challenges
> that she might encounter using a chromebook OS?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I have researched my way into
> confusion.

Hi Colin,

Ok, I read this question a little more carefully.

You're planning to use the book "Python for Kids", right?

    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9781593274078.do

If using that book is a requirement, then I have to take back what I said
about web environments being appropriate for this particular situation.

That book requires a computer running either Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux.
 It will have some exercises that assume that it can have graphical control
over the desktop with the "Tk" graphics library, a capability that you will
not likely have in a web-based environment.

Apologies for not reading the requirements more closely.  I saw "learning
Python for kids", and did not think that you were referring to a specific
book!  :P