[Tutor] Which computer operating system is best for Python

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Feb 6 03:11:47 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 07:51:51PM -0600, Tim Krupinski wrote:
> I would agree with David and others.  For programming, a chromebook would
> not be a good choice because you can't install any type of development
> environment onto the machine itself.  Get something with a big screen and,
> preferably a full keyboard - I'm talking full size in the sense that you
> have the numeric keypad to the right.

Does anyone use the numeric keypad for programming? I'd hardly consider
it essential. Having the keys large enough to comfortably type is
essential. Arrow keys and the usual Home/End/Page Up/Page Down keys
being readily available, that's essential.

As far as "big screen" goes, please remember that the OP is on a budget,
and the bigger the screen the less portable the laptop and the less
battery life.

> Unless you look a little deeper most
> options available will be windows based.  Not a problem - I would recommend
> using a piece of software called "Virtualbox".  It is freely available and
> distributed by Oracle.  It will allow you to install a Linux operating
> system on a "Virtual" machine that runs within windows.  While this may
> seem complicated to somebody without experience in this area, there are
> great tutorials on this and the process is much more straightforward than
> it was just a couple years ago.

But still complex. And you're limited by the (lack of) stability of
Windows.

If you don't *need* Windows, there is no point in running Linux on top
of Windows in a virtual machine. It just means you're using twice as
much memory, and you are still bound by the stability of Windows.

[...]
> As an ancillary benefit,
> your child will also be learning Linux as he learns to program.

I believe that Colin is buying this laptop for his daughter.

--
Steven