[Tutor] emacs and tabs/spaces

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Dec 5 06:39:29 CET 2014

"André Walker-Loud <walksloud at gmail.com>" <walksloud at gmail.com> writes:

> In this case, the “tab” alignment does not make it an integer number
> of 4 spaces - so when I try and edit the file on a different machine,
> with another editor (TextWrangler) that does actually put all tabs to
> 4 spaces, I end up breaking my files often.

This is an excellent reason to stop using U+0009 (HT) characters for
indentation at all.

Instead, set ‘indent-tabs-mode’ to false (‘nil’), and Emacs will indent
with the specified number of U+0020 (SPACE) characters. You won't be at
the mercy of the chaotic differences in rendering of U+0009 characters.

--
 \     “I went to a restaurant that serves ‘breakfast at any time’. So |
  `\    I ordered French Toast during the Renaissance.” —Steven Wright |