[Tutor] Fwd: Printing multi-line variables horizontally

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Aug 9 13:42:47 CEST 2014

On Sat, Aug 09, 2014 at 12:39:37PM +0200, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick wrote:
> It looks ilke this WONDERFUL mailing list which does not do something
> as basic as a sane Reply-to header made me send a response to the OP
> only.  Here it is again:
[...]

Although I personally agree with you that setting the Reply-To address
to the list is more sensible than the alternative, I'll point out that
it is not the only "sane" option.

http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html

I don't agree with all the arguments here, I think the author has jumped
to some unjustified conclusions, and I don't think the argument is
anywhere near as settled as he thinks. Certainly the mailing list should
never override a Reply-To header that has been set by the sender, but
that doesn't mean it can't set one where it hasn't been set.

In any case, you should be able to set the Reply-To address yourself
(either manually, or if your mail client allows it, automatically) and
the mailing list will honour it. I have done so in this post, so we'll
see what happens.

--
Steven