[Tutor] Python; webcam

Danny Yoo dyoo at hashcollision.org
Mon Aug 4 22:55:36 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 7:10 AM, René Mathieu <rnmathieu254 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there
>
> I'm writing a Python program and I would like to display a video device
> (webcam). How should I write in the program?

Hi Mathieu René,

I'm unsure because I have no direct experience with this.  You might
want to check the general Python mailing list if you don't get other
answers from the tutors here.

There is no built-in support in the Standard LIbrary to a webcam;
however, there appear to be external libraries that provide access  to
a webcam.  From a web search, it looks like the Pygame library might
be applicable:
http://www.pygame.org/docs/tut/camera/CameraIntro.html.  You might
also be able to look into the PythonCV library:
http://opencv-python-tutroals.readthedocs.org/en/latest/py_tutorials/py_gui/py_video_display/py_video_display.html