[Tutor] Groups of mutually exclusive options

Alex Kleider akleider at sonic.net
Tue Apr 22 19:47:09 CEST 2014

On 2014-04-21 19:35, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> Does docopt solve the Original Poster's question? If not, that advice
> is
> not terribly helpful.

I don't pretend to fully understand the Original Poster's requirement
but I believe mutual exclusivity is supported. Here's a short excerpt.
"""
Example uses brackets "[ ]", parens "( )", pipes "|" and ellipsis "..."
to describe optional, required, mutually exclusive, and repeating
elements.
"""

> By the way, I think you mean Single Point Of Truth, not Light.
>
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch04s02.html
>
> SPOT, also known as DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself), is an excellent
> principle to follow, but in my experience it is often too difficult to
> follow religiously.

Thanks for the correction.
I too have found it difficult but have always considered it a failure on
my part when I'm forced to put it aside.
The point I was making is that docopt makes it much easier.