[Tutor] Python & algorithms (Lang line simplification algorithm)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Apr 15 02:23:09 CEST 2014

Laura Kauria <lacation at gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks a lot for all the help! I got the courage to start at least..

Congratulations! Courage is a necessary ingredient when starting :-)

Could you please avoid  top-posting, and instead use interleaved style
<URL:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style> for
your replies, so the conversation is in a natural order.

> I started by converting the pseudocode I had to python.

If it's short and simple, please post it here so we can discuss it in
context.

> Still I have problems with perpendicular distance and creating a line
> with python.
> I need to create a line between two points and then check what is the
> distance between a line and intermediate points which were between lines
> start and end point. If someone could help me with this? I could not
> understand can I do this without math library or not?

The ‘math’ module in the standard library has trigonometric functions
<URL:http://docs.python.org/3/library/math.html#trigonometric-functions>.
If you have co-ordinate data and know how to use trigonometry, then
those functions will do what you expect.

--
 \        “If I melt dry ice, can I swim without getting wet?” —Steven |
  `\                                                            Wright |