[Tutor] writing python on the web

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 30 21:42:51 CEST 2013

On 30/09/13 13:49, roberto wrote:
> Hi, my school is considering a massive shift to Chromebooks. I've to
> carefully think about how could the students go on writing their python
> programs on the web.

It's not just Python it's any kind of program.
There are a few online interpreters around but if you are
planning on teaching computing, a ChromeBook or any other cloud
based tool is going to make it hard if not impossible to teach effectively.

You maybe need to feed that back to your administration before they
seriously damage their students prospects and their schools reputation.
They may be slightly cheaper (and we are only talking about $50 each!)
but they are very limited devices.

If you are forced to go down that route consider finding an online
terminal emulator and get the students to use it to access a server
someplace where you can install Python and any other environment you
need. That's still limiting things to text but better than an online
interpreter IMHO.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site