[Tutor] List Python Question..Please help

Amit Saha amitsaha.in at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 09:44:49 CEST 2013

On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 3:48 PM, Jacqueline Canales
<jackiexxduh3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I have been trying to do this program using ifs and or loops.
> I am having a hard time solving this question, If you could please assist me
> in the right direction.
>
> Write a program that lists all the composers on the list ['Antheil',
> 'Saint-Saens', 'Beethoven', 'Easdale', 'Nielsen'] whose name starts and ends
> with the same letter (so Nielsen gets lsited, but Antheil doesn't).
>
> I know below it prints the entire list of composers but i dont know  how to
> do the program above. I think I am thinking to much into but ive looked at
> all my notes and online resources and having a hard time coming up with
> anything.
> Please help!
>
> composers = ['Antheil', 'Saint-Saens', 'Beethoven', 'Easdale', 'Nielsen']
> for person in composers:
>     print(person)

So, here you are printing every compose as you rightly state above.
What you now need to do is:

For each of the composers (`person'), you need to check if the first
letter and the last letter are the same. Here;s a hint:

>>> s='abba'

The first letter:

>>> s[0]
'a'

The last letter:

>>> s[-1]
'a'

If you now compare these, you will know if they are the same and hence
you print him/her.

Hope that helps.
-Amit.

--