[Tutor] ImportError: No module named '_sysconfigdata_m'

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Sep 25 01:25:31 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 01:33:23PM +0100, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> If you want to mess with your system 'sudo rm -rf' is definitely the
> way to go. Don't bother reporting this as a bug since you've
> *definitely* voided the warranty (that your free software didn't come
> with).

I first read that as "sudo rm -rf ." and thought "That's a bit harsh,
isn't it?"

> Debian/Ubuntu and other derivatives such as Mint do not use the
> python.org tarball as it comes out of the box. They apply a whole
> bunch of system specific patches so that Python fits in with their
> Debian way of doing things. This may be why you're seeing the error
> with your un-patched CPython.

Just to be clear, this only applies when replacing the *system Python*
with an unpatched version. I normally build multiple versions of Python
from source, and install them parallel to the system Python, and they
work fine on Debian.

--
Steven