[Tutor] ImportError: No module named '_sysconfigdata_m'

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:48:21 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I did not use "--prefix". I just reinstalled Python 3.2 via the package manager, and
> it everything is working again --THANK YOU ALL!
>
> antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ which python3.3
> /usr/local/bin/python3.3

This is the version you built from source, using the default
/usr/local prefix, right? Debian also uses /usr/local/lib/python3.3
for locally installed modules (e.g. pip install), but it  uses the
"dist-packages" directory instead of "site-packages", so there's no
conflict.

If you need to uninstall, you can use the checkinstall program to
build a .deb. For example, as root:

    # ./configure
    # make
    # checkinstall -D --pkgname=python332 --pkgversion=3.3.2 \
    > --fstrans=no make install

Change the last part to "make altinstall" if that's what you used
originally. Answer yes and enter to start the installation. You may be
asked to exclude some files; say yes. Wait a long while for the
package to be built and installed...  Then remove it using dpkg:

    # dpkg -r python332

> antonia at antonia-HP-2133 ~ $ which python3.2
> /usr/bin/python3.2
>
> Are the Python-3 versions considered to be too different that apt-get update does
> not replace e.g. 3.2 with 3.3? Or is that also related to the Debian-specific patches,
> which may cause the Debian-specific release to be (much) behind with the
> "generic" Python release?

3.2 and 3.3 coexist since .pyc and .so filenames are tagged. Debian
installs 3.x modules in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages. The standard
library is separate in /usr/lib/python3.2, /usr/lib/python3.3, and so
on.