[Tutor] Python "well-formed formulas"

Citizen Kant citizenkant at gmail.com
Tue May 28 15:45:06 CEST 2013

2013/5/28 Dave Angel <davea at davea.name>

> On 05/28/2013 08:20 AM, Walter Prins wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 28 May 2013 12:44, Citizen Kant <citizenkant at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  Could you please help me with a simple example of a Python well-formed
>>> formula in order to understand "well-formed formulas" and "formation
>>> rules"
>>> concepts properly?
>>>

>> I'm assuming you perhaps meant "well-formed expression".  If so, here's a
>> useful link that answers your question:
>> http://homepage.divms.uiowa.**edu/~sriram/16/spring12/**
>> lectureNotes/Feb8-2012.pdf<http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~sriram/16/spring12/lectureNotes/Feb8-2012.pdf>
>>

> That's pretty good.  I had assumed the OP meant the well-formed formula of
> Propositional Calculus.  As defined on the page:
>
> http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~**jamesp/classes/LING130/**
> FirstOrderLogic-1.pdf<http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~jamesp/classes/LING130/FirstOrderLogic-1.pdf>
>
> I didn't respond because I can't believe that Propositional Calculus means
> the same thing by "free variable" as Python does.

I'm trying to figure out the rules on how to recognize when a combination
of symbols is considered a well formed expression in Python. Since I
couldn't find any doc that lists all Python syntax rules --or maybe the doc
is too long to be managed by me right now--, stating all kinds of legal
combination among its symbols, I had this idea that well formed expressions
must respond to truth tables. I think I'm not pretty much interested on how
each symbol like 9 or Z or + come to be truth (maybe I'm wrong) but in the
truth of their combinations. Do I am in the correct path? Understanding the
truth tables (which I'm not very familiarized with) would help me on
writing Python in a more intuitive way?