[Tutor] keyboard interrupt

Marc Tompkins marc.tompkins at gmail.com
Fri May 24 17:11:08 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 3:52 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>wrote:

> On 24/05/13 06:37, Jim Mooney wrote:
>
>> Apparently Wing isn't as savvy as IDLE when it comes to communicating
>>> with the subprocess. I've only searched for about a minute, but
>>> apparently the way this works in Wing is to "Restart Shell":
>>>
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/a/**10360503/205580<http://stackoverflow.com/a/10360503/205580>
>>> http://www.wingware.com/doc/**debug/interactive-python-shell<http://www.wingware.com/doc/debug/interactive-python-shell>
>>>
>>> This kills the suprocess and starts a new interpreter. Crude, but it
>>> should get the job done.
>>>

>> Thanks. I'll put stackoverflow on my bookmarks.
>>

> Beware though, while there are often some very good answers on
> Stackoverflow, there are also very many people who are nowhere near as
> knowledgeable as they think, giving terrible answers, and still having
> large scores. (One particular person comes to mind, I forget his name but
> he has a *very* high score which means lots of people are voting for his
> answers, and yet every time without exception I've seen him reply to
> someone he has been rude, missed the entire point of their question, or
> given them bad advice. Or all three at once.)

I love, love, love StackOverflow (and the whole StackExchange ecosystem),
but it's unfortunately susceptible to being gamed.  Anyone can edit a
question (or an answer), and if the edit is allowed to stand the editor
gets 2 points.  There are millions of questions, so this process can be
repeated ad nauseam.  I used to spend a lot of time on
english.stackexchange.com, and one of the reasons I got fed up with it is
exactly that: unhelpful, opinionated users whose scores were inflated to
make them seem authoritative.  One of them edited several of my answers,
making no change except to turn dashes into Unicode em dashes - and his
score was four times higher than mine, despite hardly having any answers
accepted (due to being a rude, ignorant loudmouth).  I have no problem at
all with true experts having higher scores than mine (especially if they
answer more questions than I, and do it beautifully) but I came to resent
being ranked behind jerks.

The system still _mostly_ works, though, and it sure beats the hell out of
ExpertSexChange or whatever they're calling it these days...