[Tutor] Python Idle Crashing

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri May 17 20:08:08 CEST 2013

bob gailer wrote:

> On 5/16/2013 8:49 PM, Alan Gauld wrote:
> > don't run programs on real data using IDLE. IDLE is for developing
> > programs not running them.
>
> That is really scary. Why do you say that? The IDLE documentation does
> NOT say that!

Relates to IDEs and not IDLE in specific. I would *never* run
a production program from Eclipse (or any IDE). They tend to
modify things like std in/out/err and add some magic that can
be useful for development/debugging. The problem with the magic
is that it can have unintended consequences; although I suppose
if you wanted a program to *always* be run in a specific IDE
then you could code it to take advantage of the quirks....