[Tutor] Text Editors and Linux (was Re: exit message)

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Thu May 9 06:01:14 CEST 2013

Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On the other hand, I work with, and watch, a lot of techies who live in screen. They swear that
> they're more efficient, but watching them hunt for the right virtual terminal doesn't look very
> efficient to me. I often see them flip through three or four different VTs until they reach the one
> they were looking for. It is especially amusing when they end up shutting down the wrong server
> because they've gone to the wrong vt and haven't realised it.

Not intending to start (or continue) a flame war, but wanted to point out that

ctrl+a, <double quote>

will list all screen titles and let you navigate using arrow keys or typing in the number.
Of course, that assumes you correctly title your virtual terminal sessions.

I was mostly curious because they seem roughly equivalent and mostly dependant on the
terminal I am using. I was wondering if maybe there was a trick or two that I was missing.

What I like about screen is the way sessions stay open when disconnected, but I find
tabbed terminals easier to scroll for history. If there is a tabbed terminal that will allow
split screens then all the neat features I know about in screen would exist...although
I rarely use that feature at the moment.

~Ramit