[Tutor] Text Editors and Linux (was Re: exit message)

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue May 7 06:50:19 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 06, 2013 at 11:13:18AM -0400, David Robinow wrote:
> On Mon, May 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
> > (Actually, I am a great believer in not using IDLE for anything. If your
> > application acts weird, is that because it has a bug, or because IDLE is
> > doing something "clever"? I much prefer a text editor and a terminal
> > window. But then I'm spoilt because I use Linux, where the standard
> > environment is practically an IDE on its own.)
>
> I certainly agree about IDLE and prefer a text editor myself. I don't use
> Linux much and haven't noticed the "practically an IDE" part. Could you
> expound?

http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

My preferred development environment is:

* kate text editor (although I'm trying out geany and so far I like what
I see);

* a decent console app that supports multiple tabs;

* a browser for googling stuff;

* and optionally, a file manager window, preferably Konqueror (but KDE 3
only), but I don't even usually bother with that.

I tend to have at least one console tab open for running shell commands
like grep, version control, etc; another tab open for running my app; at
least one tab open for a Python interactive interpreter for trying out
code snippets and reading help(); and another tab for running tests.

--
Steven