[Tutor] Clear screen questions

Brian van den Broek brian.van.den.broek at gmail.com
Mon May 6 05:29:06 CEST 2013

On 5 May 2013 23:12, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On 06/05/13 12:37, Brian van den Broek wrote:

<snip>

>> Try:
>>
>> def pragmatic_as_if_clear():
>>      print '\n' * 100
>>
>> which isn't too far off of what clear does in bash.
>
> Not in the version of bash I am using in an xterm window. (To be precise,
> Konsole under KDE 3.)
>
> If I start a bash session, and then do something "large" like print a file
> listing, the prompt ends up right at the bottom of the screen. If I then
> call clear, the visible area of the screen is cleared, the prompt ends up at
> the top of the screen, but if I scroll back using the scroll bar, I can see
> the previous output immediately before the clear command, without 100 blank
> lines separating them.

terminator 0.93 under openbox 3.5 appears to fill a terminal window
height with blank lines. That isn't a hard coded value as above, but
that's why I put in the weasel words. Since those words are there,
I'll press them into service to cover the further inaccuracy you point
out :-)

>> <snip>
>>
>>> terms when I saw the first pair of brackets, so it did not occur to me
>>> to see the second set of brackets as indexing.
>>>
>>> boB
>>>

>> Steven explained it. I'd point out that wiser snake charmers than I
>> discouraged me (some on this list) from using it from the position that
>> it
>> was too clever. I've done so from time to time anyway; there is a
>> momentary
>> jolt when reading the code months later.
>

> I don't know who they were, I certainly hope they didn't include me.

Not so far as I recollect, but it is nearing a decade ago, now. I'll
leave my fuzzy memories where they are. FWIW, as indicated, that's a
bit of advice I didn't always follow.

Best,

Brian vdB