[Tutor] help with installing and/or running PyNomo

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 24 00:59:02 CET 2013

On 23/03/13 22:35, Edythe Thompson wrote:
> Using Python 2.6.5
> Mac OS X version 10.6.8
>
> I want to run the PyNomo package that uses python.

This list is for learning core Python so you are probably better off
asking on a PyNomo forum or mailing list. Or at the very least the
MacPython list.

However,

> Python 2.7.1 (r271:86882M, Nov 30 2010, 10:35:34)

This is running Python 2.7 not the 2.6 that you installed.

This os probably because your MacOS has python 2.7 installed by default.
You will maybe need to explicitly run  the 2.6 version for PyNomo.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/Users/edythethompson/Desktop/Type8-Sample.py", line 3, in <module>
>      from pynomo.nomographer import *
> ImportError: No module named pynomo.nomographer
>  >>>

I have no idea what PyNomo is or how it works so thats a guess but there
is also a danger that some of your other packages have installed
themselves in the wrong Python so some may be inPython 2.6 and others in
2.7! That's a pure guess...

But what the error says is that python 2.7 doesn't know what/where
PyNomo is.

My best advice is to see if there is a Python 2./7 version available and
if so install that instead. Failing that check that all your installs
have been in the 2.6 area and then run Python2.6 (create a shortcut to
the executable)

Finally your paste suggests you are actually running Python within IDLE.
That may not be the best thing to do when using 3rd party packages like
PyNomo.

Again check with a PyNomo forum (or the developer if there is
no forum)

HTH
--
Alan G