[Tutor] Fwd: Which databases allow lists as record fields?

DoanVietTrungAtGmail doanviettrung at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 02:39:17 CET 2013

..

> You don't. You create a second table to hold the list.
> Then in the second table you include be reference back to the first.

I thought about that but thought it seemed a roundabout way. But assuming I
do it that way, how to deal with variable-length list? Most lists have
10^3, but some can grow to perhaps 10^7 items. A fixed record structure to
fit the longest possible record would make the database table sparse and,
presumably, waste space.

An alternative I thought of was to use SQL Server fields for XML, or
varchar variable-length character strings containing 10^9 characters, then
to read the list I'd parse the XML or split the string into literal
integers then convert to int. I wanted to avoid this computation cost if
possible.

Trung
========