[Tutor] Problem with os.system

Brad Hudson brad.hudson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 20:52:52 CET 2013

> #!/usr/bin/env python
>
> import os
>
> global name_wo_ext
>
> name_wo_ext = "d:\\fun"
>
> os.system("mkdir %s" % (name_wo_ext))
>

> This gets executed well but there is no directory created L I tried with
> another command as below and it works for me

This is not a problem with os.system. Windows 7 has new permission
concepts. You must use elevated privileges (i.e. Administrator) to
modify items on anything other than your own "Library" space (thank
you horrible 'sync' idea). In order to overcome the 'permission'
issues you will encounter on Windows 7 whenever creating/modifying
folders or files, you must either be "Administrator" (i.e. actually
logged in as Administrator) or take ownership of the full path you are
trying to use for creation/modification of dirs or files. See the help
for "takeown /?" at the command prompt.