[Tutor] How convert an int to a string

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Sun Jun 23 00:57:59 CEST 2013

On 06/22/2013 05:01 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> I need to convert a series of digits like 060713 to a string so I can
> make it look like a date 06-07-13.

Where is this series of digits coming from?  Is it in the source code,
or in a file, or coming from the user, or what?  If it's in source code,
add quotes around it, and it'll be a string.  The whole octal nonsense
is a non-starter, because it won't handle a date like September 18.
Octal numbers only have digits zero through seven.

If the digits are coming from a file, then they're already a string.
Don't waste the time converting to decimal and/or octal, just use them.

If they come from somewhere else, then tell us.  And while you're at it,
tell us the Python version so we have a chance at matching the advice to
what you're running.

>  >>> a = 060713

That assignment will try to make it octal.  If there are digits bigger
than 7, it'll fail.

--
DaveA