[Tutor] Opinion - help could use more examples

Devin Jeanpierre jeanpierreda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 02:21:47 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's a peeve of mine about Python help - it often has zero examples.
> I printed help(zip) to see what it does and got this:

--snip--

> Not understandable right off, IMHO, unless you're already hardcore.

help() is outright harmful to people that don't already know what
they're doing -- it omits things like advice to do with security,
including neglecting to declare that functions are not safe and can
execute arbitrary Python code, that sort of thing, but also the more
common case of just minor security "footnotes" that are nonetheless
important for every user to know.

Definitely use the HTML docs.

-- Devin