[Tutor] Is there a programmatic use for keys() and values()

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 00:41:13 CEST 2013

On 16 June 2013 18:49, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:
> Although an editor that's been around since the stone age
> probably doesn't blow up. I doubt VIM has a constant stream of
> upgrades (not always compatible), bug fixes, and security fixes ;')

I use Vim pretty much exclusively and work on Linux and Windows. It
does have a constant stream of upgrades and fixes but the core
functionality hasn't changed in any noticeable way in years. However
Vim already has much more functionality than I will ever use; since I
only know a small subset of what it can already do I don't really
notice new features as they are added.

The only time I can remember discovering a new feature in Vim and then
actually using it is with "undo branches" and apparently (I just
checked) this feature was released in 2006. Typically if I think that
I want Vim to have some or other feature I find after a quick search
that Vim already has several ways of doing what I want.

There is also an active community writing third-party plugins for Vim
and this is probably where the bulk of significant new features are
developed.

Oscar