[Tutor] On a looping input, subsequent inputs are hidden

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 17:35:26 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 2:00 PM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11 June 2013 05:59, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>
>> I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean. Second and subsequent inputs? I
>> only see one. Hide the input with dots?
>>
>> Can you copy and paste an example?
>
> That would be a graphic of the input popup and this is a text-only
> list. Or would an attachment work?
>
> Well, the best way to find out is to try. Graphic attached of the
> second call to input since a non-integer was entered. If it appears,
> the second input window, when I enter integers, shows little black
> security-dots, as in web entries of your password, instead of the
> integers. On the first input, I can see the numbers.

In your original description, you said

    But the Second and subsequent inputs, in Windows, hide the input
    with dots, while the first shows the input, and I can't figure
    out why.... But it's just python input, not tkinter. Unless it's
    a Windows peculiarity. The input Always shows in DOS."

I see now. When you said "in Windows", you meant you ran the script in
PyScripter. Unlike IDLE, PyScripter chooses to pop up a dialog box for
input. No wonder I couldn't reproduce the problem.

Also, there is no DOS. If you're running 64-bit Windows you don't even
have the NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) and can't run 16-bit DOS and
Win16 apps without installing an emulator. What you keep calling 'DOS'
is a console window, running text-mode *Windows* programs such as
python.exe and cmd.exe.