[Tutor] What are these two string-formatting styles called?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 14 23:46:24 CEST 2013

On 14/06/13 20:09, Jim Mooney wrote:

> Of course, the real consideration, for those thinking of programming as
> a career path, is whether programmers will be as obsolete at gaslighters
> in twenty years - or will they be doing some sort of weird meta-programming?

COBOL - COmmon Business Oriented Language.
Designed in the 1950s to enable 'ordinary business users' to write their
own programs and thus render programmers obsolete....

And by the standards of the languages I was using in the 1970/80s Python
is a kind of weird meta programming! :-)

That's been the holy grail of computer science since its inception.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site