[Tutor] three numbers for one

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 09:48:18 CEST 2013

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 3:01 AM, Jim Mooney <cybervigilante at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 June 2013 22:49, eryksun <eryksun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>     0.0625
>>
>> Tibet wins an award for having the only character with a negative value:
>>
>>     >>> '\u0f33'
>>     '༳'
>>     >>> unicodedata.name('༳')
>>     'TIBETAN DIGIT HALF ZERO'
>>     >>> unicodedata.numeric('༳')
>>     -0.5
>
> There are programmers in Tibet? That certainly changes my picture of the place.

The half digits are controversial anyway:

http://babelstone.blogspot.com/2007/04/numbers-that-dont-add-up-tibetan-half.html

    The problem with these characters is that it is very hard to
    get hold of any examples of their usage, and even respected
    Tibetan experts (and most Tibetans) are not familiar with them
    other than from the Unicode character charts. Tibetan reference
    books are universally silent on these characters, and as no
    other Indic scripts have similar half digits it is not
    immediately evident what they are meant to represent.