[Tutor] sqlite3 woes opening Moz, FFox sqlite db with only the inevitable 'DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database' occurring...

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 01:50:43 CEST 2013

Hi,

On 24 July 2013 17:08, Paul Smith <paulrsmith7777 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks but still stuck...
>
> Walt-
> Pete-
>
> I am trying to copy-update py 2.7.5 with latest sqlite3 for version fix
> but am running win 7 64bit and am getting these errors on both regsrv32 and
> WOW64 while trying to register new Dll's...

Are you running 32 bit Python or 64-bit Python?  You need to match the dll
to your Python build, not to the Windows OS build.  I note that the
official sqlite download page does NOT have a simple 64-bit build
available.  This together with your trouble trying to use the DLL implies
to me that you're probably running 64-bit Python 2.7 which cannot directly
use a 32-bit dll.  Am I right in thinking you're using 64-bit Python build?

> Python27\DLLs>regsvr32 sqlite3.dll
>

> the module"sqlite3.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer
> was not found
>
> make sure that sqlite3.dll is a valid dll or ocx file then try again

Why are you trying to register the dll?  It's not a COM/ActiveX server,
it's just a plain DLL.   All you need to do is replace the old with the
new.  Done.  Nothing else.

...so other than the attempted registering the new dll fail I also get a
> ASCII error related to _init_
>
> Installed sqlite 3.7.17 by itself and running from cmd line pointing to
> FFox db - it works! so by itself the new sqlite 3.7.17 version works, now
> to hammer it into py 2.7.5...

For reference, if you're indeed using a 64-bit build of Python, I've
managed to track down a 64-bit build of the sqlite3.dll here:
http://synopse.info/files/SQLite3-64.7z

For reference, this was via the following page so is apparently legit:
http://blogs.embarcadero.com/davidi/2013/01/25/42392

Aside, I notice the DLL file is compressed with 7Zip, so you'll need 7Zip
(or another archiver that supports the 7z format) to decompress it:
http://www.7-zip.org/

Alternatively to all the above, you can build a 64-bit DLL yourself.  ;)
Here's a relevant stack overflow question if you're interested in that
rabbit hole...:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10978020/compiling-sqlite-for-windows-64-bit

Personally though, I'd suggest just using 32-bit Python unless you have a
*really* good reason not to do so.

Walter