[Tutor] sqlite3 woes opening Moz, FFox sqlite db with only the inevitable 'DatabaseError: file is encrypted or is not a database' occurring...

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 10:43:11 CEST 2013

Hi Peter,

On 24 July 2013 09:20, Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:

> If you don't want to switch to Python 3.3 -- or if it doesn't feature an
> sqlite version that supports WAL -- you could use sqlite's commandline
> tools
> to switch off WAL on a copy (!) of places.sqlite.

I've just gone through similar steps as you and similarly determined that
the reason for Paul's trouble is the version of sqlite3.dll included with
the latest version of Python 2.7 doesn't support Firefox's DB.

I'd like to add that an alternative solution to switching Python versions
is to simply replace (rename the original first) sqlite3.dll in
"c:\Python27\DLLs" with the latest on the SQLite site.  I've just tested it
and it works fine for my install of Python 2.7.2.5 32-bit with Firefox's
places.sqlite after the update.  The dll can be downloaded here under
"Precompiled binaries for Windows":
http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

Walter