[Tutor] unichr not working as expected

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 23 21:20:14 CEST 2013

On 23/07/13 18:41, wolfrage8765 at gmail.com wrote:
> Although I can not say for sure.  It appears to me, they are trying to
> do a better job at merging from distributed branches

Thanks for the memory jog. Yes i remember reading an interview with
linus when he referred to the difficulty of using CVS on a
distributed build and that was a prime motivator for git.

Now what about the others? Are they also primarily aimed at
distributed builds?

Renaming files and folders should not be a big problem for
any VCS, if you freeze/recreate the tree the folder names
should be whatever they were at freeze. (The only issue is
if you want to pull up version -N of a file and its
history stops at version -(N+3) and you then need to
pull up version (-3) of the old file and don't know its name!
- bad commenting and history documentation, but not unknown.
But the tool can do it, its only the management that's
faulty! :-)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site