[Tutor] unichr not working as expected

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 23 19:09:31 CEST 2013

On 23/07/13 16:08, Dave Angel wrote:

>>> git is free, and is usually installed on individual machines.  It's
>>> also easy to set up and use for a single user.
>>
>> I prefer Mercurial (also known as hg).

And I've used SVN in recent years and found it... OK.

But my question is: Why is there such a rash of source code control
systems just now?

I used SCCS and RCS and then CVS for years and they seemed
to work just fine (especially CVS for larger projects). So what is
the itch that everyone is trying to scratch with these new systems?
Personally I don't find them significantly better or even different to
the previous generation. (Unlike the commercial products I've used like
ClearCase(*) and Continuous which are vastly superior but vastly more
expensive!)

So what's the big deal with version control?

(*)On Unix only, on Windows ClearCase is not significantly better
than any other VCS

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site