[Tutor] slashes in paths

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 04:41:27 CEST 2013

On 21 July 2013 18:18, Marc Tompkins <marc.tompkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> But back in the late 1970s, no way in Hell did Gates see Linux on the
> horizon.  He saw CP/M, and the choices that he (and MS in general) made at
> that time were intended to be compatible with CP/M, not incompatible with
> UNIX.  You wanna blame somebody, blame Gary Kildall.

Good link - to think that I was going to buy a Timex Sinclair 1000.
Looked like a hot item at the time. Must have had good ads ;')  And I
remember the Kildall business, of him flying about in a plane while
Gates stole a march with IBM. DOS sure was crippled, though, even
compared to drdos. And IE after it. I remember having resumeable
downloads on Fidonet with zmodem, well over thirty years ago, before
the Internet, yet IE couldn't do that for decades. Every time a
download failed I'd think "Why could ancient Zmodem resume and IE
couldn't?" Go figure.  Then I became a webmaster and discovered IE was
not compatible with standards, and its own versions weren't even
compatible with each other - so you wrote one website for all the
other browsers, then three more for IE. Ugh.

--
Jim

At one time if someone had a lame idea,  you'd say, "That and ten
cents will get you a cup of coffee."   Now you have to say, "That and
five dollars and forty-eight cents will get you a double
creme-de-menthe Grande frappe, with a touch of juniper, nonfat creme,
and low on the sugar."

It just ain't the same.