[Tutor] install on windows

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 01:19:11 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 5:29 PM, larry seibold
<lseibold at seiboldsystems.com> wrote:
> This is what I get as me and in an Administrator shell:
>
> C:\>assoc .msi
> .msi=msiexec.Document
>
> C:\>ftype Msi.Package
> Msi.Package="%SystemRoot%\System32\msiexec.exe" /i "%1" %*
>
> C:\>ftype Msi.Document
> File type 'Msi.Document' not found or no open command associated with it.
>
> I am not sure why running in an administrator shell worked, but the
> implication of the above responce is that I need to change the association
> of .msi to Msi.Package.

The following will update the association:

    assoc .msi=Msi.Package

As to why it worked in the console shell, there you specified the /i
option and filename manually, i.e. "msiexec /i python-2.7.5.msi".

Since your user account is a member of Administrators, you shouldn't
have to install as *the* Administrator -- at least not in my
experience.