[Tutor] How to install package (I. Alejandro Fleischer)

Jim Mooney cybervigilante at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 00:08:13 CEST 2013

On 15 July 2013 14:04, Albert-Jan Roskam <fomcl at yahoo.com> wrote:

Perhaps even better: Python(x, y):
> https://code.google.com/p/pythonxy/wiki/Downloads

Good point. You're not tied to a commercial distro. And in case it isn't
noticed you should uninstall your current python first (saving your
standard program file, of course - I've put mine in a different directory
since I've wiped out python a few times now ;')  (x,y) includes pip and its
dependencies, so then you can just do "pip install ..." to install most
other things, afterwards (sometimes - it doesn't always find what you want
on the net so you have to download it.)

A good feature of pip is pip freeze, which shows you what you've already
got installed.

Figuring out the Python install mess is harder than figuring out Python,
IMHO ;')

--
Jim

If you find yourself running into a wall, stop running into a wall! --Mark
Lutz
If you can't go through a wall, go around it. --Jim Mooney