[Tutor] New Python 3.3.2 Install Fails to Start-Up

eryksun eryksun at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 22:37:25 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Nathan Schlaffer
<nathanschlaffer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Windows 7 Laptop. I installed Python Version 3.3.2 this morning and
> it worked fine. Then I tried to run a program someone else wrote (see
> below), and Python closed. Then I couldn't get Python to restart even after
> rebooting several times. I then uninstalled Python, rebooted, cleaned the
> Windows registry, and reinstalled Python from scratch. But I stilll couldn't
> start Python, so I tried uninstalling Python and using a restore point
> several times with no success. I still can't make Python run from the IDLE
> (Python GUI) on the start menu. Can anybody please help me?

I doubt the problem is your Python installation. More than likely it's
an IDLE bug. Reinstalling doesn't touch the .idlerc config directory
in your profile. Try deleting it if it exists.

If that doesn't work, run IDLE from the console so you can see if it
prints an error. Open a 'command prompt' and run the following:

    PYTHONHOME\Lib\idlelib\idle.py

Replace "PYTHONHOME" with the directory where Python is installed.

> Second, I tried to run my Python programs today via IDLE but when I checked
> the Edit Menu I couldn't find a Run Menu to execute or run my program. How
> do I run a program once I have written the code in IDLE?

Run -> Run Module

That's just for testing in IDLE, which isn't the normal way to run
Python programs. Run your .py scripts (console user interface) and
.pyw scripts (graphical user interface) directly from the desktop
shell (explorer.exe) or the console shell (cmd.exe). For console
applications, running via cmd is better because you inherit the
existing console that stays open when your program exits.

----

If you aren't familiar with the Windows command-line interface, here
are some basic commands; use "help" to learn more:

Built-in Commands
exit - quit cmd
cls - clear screen
echo - display a message
type - display a text file
set - set/display environment variable
start - run a program in a new window
dir - list files/dirs
cd (chdir) - change/show dir
pushd - push current dir; then cd
popd - cd to last pushed dir
md (mkdir) - create dir
rd (rmdir) - remove dir
ren (rename) - rename files
copy - copy files
move - move files
del - delete files

External Commands
chcp - change codepage (437, 1252, 65001)
doskey - manage aliases and history
more - page a text file
findstr - search using regular expressions
runas - run as a different user
tasklist - list processes
taskkill - terminate processes

Environment Variables