[Tutor] how can i use python 2 alongside 3?

Matthew Ngaha chigga101 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:14:22 CET 2013

> I'm not using it, since I'm not using Windows.  So these are guesses based
> on years stuck\b\b\b\b\b spent in the Windows environment.
>
> Clearly, the name of the program is py.exe, so that's what you should try
> searching for.  From the cmd prompt, try   dir /s  py.exe
>
> Or, you could just try searching under c:\windows  since that's where it's
> likely to be.
>
> To see your PATH, type  PATH   at the cmd prompt.
>
> To make temporary changes to your PATH (if py.exe is in an obscure place),
> just type
>       set PATH=c:\mydir;%PATH%
>
> To make permanent changes to PATH, you have to change the environment
> variables in the Control Panel.  I've done it many times, but don't recall
> just where it is.  Such permanent changes will affect any new runs of CMD,
> as well as affect any other program subsequently started.

thanks Dave. the file was py.exe as you said and the temporary path is
able to open both version 2 and 3's  python.exe. There seems to be a
problem. python 2 seems to be the only version opening my files unless
i do a few things. So with the shebang set:

the python launcher, launches my python 3 files with the correct
version if i double click the file or run it from a console. But it
uses the wrong version if i run it from IDLE or if i right click the
file and open with the Python Launcher. i guess i can live with that,
but is there anyway around this?