[Tutor] list of references to object properties

Jose Amoreira ljmamoreira at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 12:11:28 CET 2013

Hello
Suppose I have a list l_obj of similar objects. Is there any way I can
generate a list l_prp of references to a given property of those objects in
such a way that, if change the value of one element in l_prp, the
corresponding object in l_obj gets its property updated, and vice-versa?
Let give an example of what I have in mind.

In [1]: class MyCls(object):

   ...: def __init__(self,a):

   ...: self.prp = a

   ...:

In [2]: l_obj = [MyCls(float(i)) for i in range(3)]

In [3]: l_prp = [item.prp for item in l_obj]

In [4]: for ob in l_obj:

   ...: print ob.prp,

   ...:

0.0 1.0 2.0

In [5]: l_prp

Out[5]: [0.0, 1.0, 2.0]

In [6]: l_prp[1]=5.

In [7]: l_obj[1].prp

Out[7]: 1.0

As expected, changes in l_prp do not change the properties of the elements
in l_obj, neither do changes in l_obj's element's properties change the
values in l_prp.

Is there a simple way to implement such connections?

Thanks,

Ze