[Tutor] how to track an entry in a large text file

3n2 Solutions 3n2solutions at gmail.com
Wed Jan 16 22:22:17 CET 2013

Say I have a text file (example below) that has multiple records with
the same format but not always the same number of lines.  Each record
is separated by the line that starts with “Examining file” as in below
example. If you notice, the 3D Val is not there for the second record.
How do I report that the “3D Val” is not present for that particular
record “8866W2310089.txt”?
Thanks to Alan for his reply.

Examining file: 5521W2310000.txt

Duration                 :      0h : 59m
First meas : week   :  86     :   1721
Last  meas : week   :  89     :   1721

Min val           :     15
Max val         :     18
3D             :   3600  100.0%

summary         Total  Missed    Rate
epoch1                :        1378       0       0\1000
epoch2                :        2154       1       0\1000

Examining file: 8866W2310089.txt

Duration                 :      0h : 59m
First meas : week   :  87     :   1721
Last  meas : week   :  84     :   1721

Min val           :     16
Max val         :     19

summary         Total  Missed    Rate
epoch1                :        1378       0       0\1000
epoch