[Tutor] pexports python27.dll > python27.def (pygraphviz 1.1 package )

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Sat Jan 12 01:08:08 CET 2013

somnath chakrabarti wrote:
>  I have mingw and python 2.7 in a Windows 7 box and trying to install PyGraphViz-1.1 using the following CLI
> utility
>
> python setup.py install build --compiler=mingw32
> However, it ends up compiling error with undefined references as follows:

> build\temp.win-amd64-2.7\Release\pygraphviz\graphviz_wrap.o:graphviz_wrap.c:(.text+0x5a73): undefined reference
> to '_imp__PyInt_FromLong'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> I checked in the link (see here) which suggests exporting definitions from C:\Windows\System32\python27.dll to
> python27.def and then using dlltool to create libpython27.a and finally placing the libpython.a file under
> C:\Python27\libs of the Python distribution for MinGW to interpret Python libraries.
> I have the C:\MinGW\bin added to my system path and been trying to do the export using
>
> pexports C:\Windows\System32\python27.dll > C:\Windows\System32\python27.def
> but each time I am receiving Access is Denied Message.
> I did some searching and found that MS Visual Studio users can avail another export option with DUMPBIN but
> since I don't have MSVS installed, I would like to get some alternative to get rid of the problem and need to
> use the PyGraphViz-1.1 package. Any suggestions will be very helpful
>
> Somnath Chakrabarti
> MS Student
> CSEE Department
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> 1000 Hilltop Circle
> Baltimore, MD 21250
> M: 443-812-5609
> mail: chakra1 at umbc.edu
> gmail: chakrabarti.somnath at gmail.com

Do you *need* to build PygraphViz? Seems like you can download binaries or just install from pypi.
See: http://networkx.lanl.gov/pygraphviz/install.html

Not sure you will have great luck here, as this list is about learning Python.
You might have better luck in the Google Group [1], on the developer's site[2],
or as a last resort the main Python mailing list.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/pygraphviz-discuss
[2] http://networkx.lanl.gov/trac/wiki/PyGraphviz