[Tutor] running multiple versions of python

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 10 19:39:41 CET 2013

On 10/01/13 16:34, Fowler, Trent wrote:

> Ideally I'd like to specify which python I want to run a script from the desktop

Eryksun has mentioned the launchers but you can do this with standard
Windows functionality.

You just need to edit the file associations to create new extensions
.py2 and .py3, associate them with the right python executable and name
the files appropriately.

Alternatively create new context menu entries for .py files to "Run in
Python2" and "Run in Python 3" (and edit ones too if you want - "Edit in
IDLE2", "Edit in IDLE3")

 From memory you access the options to do that from the Windows Explorer
menus. Try searching the windows help for details.

No need to mess with command prompts... although as a programmer you
should probably learn that skill anyway. Quote: "GUIs make easy things
trivial and hard things impossible" - anon.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site