[Tutor] distance between cities matrix

Mara Kelly schooluse1992 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 21 13:16:33 CET 2013

Hi everyone, Here is the question I was given...Consider the (20x20) array of numbers here(I wrote all of the numbers in my program). Lets say this represents a matrix A of distances (in kilometers) between cities. Note that A is symmetric A(i,j) = A(j,i) and all its diagonal elements are zero. Suppose Vladimir from city i and Petra from city j want to meet up in some third city k (i, j and k are all different). Conscious about their carbon footprint (!), they want k to be as near as possible: specifically the sum of the distances both has to travel should be minimum. Given i and j, write a program in PYTHON that determines what k should be. (In PYTHON you can store the matrix as a list of lists). Do not worry in your program about "reading in" A: Just hard-wire it in to the code. You should read in from the user the two cities (i and j) where Vladimir and Petra live. From your program, calculate the answer for1) i=5, j=112)i=10, j=13
I think my program is correct, but I'm not sure what they want us to do with the two conditions given above. I also don't know what to enter when I run the program to test these. I am working in Python 3. Thank you!