[Tutor] Python API

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 17 02:34:15 CET 2013

On 17/02/13 00:11, Claira wrote:
> I don't know how this mailing list thing works,

Most mailing lists work the same way. You sign up and any mails that get
sent to the server get relayed to all of the members. That's about all
there is to it. But there are some social conventions in the
way people behave, mostly designed for the convenience of all - like
adding good subject lines, not sending unnecessary data etc

> For the question I asked, I didn't know you had to do all that just to
> get a map. What happens if I use http://mapbox.com + Python + Yelp API ?

All what?
You need a web site - even if its only on your local PC. That's how web
pages get displayed (unless its just static html/Javascript). You can
certainly build a web site with mapbox+Python+Yelp.

> I thought that google maps lets you add stuff,

It does but not on the Googlemaps web site. You have to use their
interface to fetch the information and display their maps on your
website. You can use layers and iFrames to display the maps on
one layer and superimpose another layer with your data on top,
but frankly that's harder than using the API...

> stuff to be stuff accessible from the yelp api

An API is a programmers interface. You can use the yelp api to
interact with the yelp site, but I don;t think it will let you
do anything with the Google website. You need to do that with
the Google API.

>  -- since google won't enable you to do that, then if I continue
 > with this, will I be able to do this on mapbox

No idea. I've never heard of mapbox. A quick Google later and it seems
to enable you to create custom maps and publish them  *to your website*.
So you still need to create a web site, the only difference from Google
is that you get to design your own maps instead of using Google style.

> without having to make a website?

It's unusual for any website to allow other people to change it. It
would have horrendous security ramifications and could get their site
closed down. But, a web site doesn't need to be public or big, it can
run on your own PC. You just need to install/configure the web server
software. It's probably already available in your OS.

It might help if we had some background info:
1) Can you already program in any language or are you a
    complete beginner?
2) Have you ever created a web site of any kind before?
3) Have you ever created web pages using HTML before?

That will give us some idea of where to pitch our responses/explanations.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site