[Tutor] Web programming question: Re: Tutor Digest, Vol 108, Issue 58

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Feb 16 10:12:18 CET 2013

Please start new topics with a new post
(ie a fresh mail to tutor at python.org)

Please do not reply to digests without trimming out all irrelevant
content - some people pay by the byte.

Please choose a sensible subject line not "Tutor Digest..."

On 16/02/13 03:09, Claira wrote:
> Hi, I signed up a while ago, but I didn't really understand anything. I
> have a basic question that maybe someone can help with. I'll like to
> integrate yelp data -- http://www.programmableweb.com/api/yelp -- onto
> google maps -- http://www.programmableweb.com/api/google-maps -- like
> how http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/New_York-New_York has it under
> "Amenities".

Lots of web sites do this and Google provide an API to support it.

> But I want it on maps.google.com

Then you will need to persuade Google to do it for you. They own that
web site and you cannot modify it, only they can do that. I should think
its highly unlikely they would agree.

> because I have no idea how to put the map on a separate webpage.

That's no excuse, you just need to learn how.

> I'll like to know if I need python for this :)

No, you could use pretty much any programming language you
choose from Ada to ZPL... But python would certainly be a
contender.

Start reading about how to build websites in Python and
then study the Google maps API.

http://docs.python.org/2/howto/webservers.html

http://econym.org.uk/gmap/

HTH